About the Role
This is the perfect role for a natural team leader who has a passion for sports broadcasting and television entertainment. You will be responsible for planning, organizing and delivering studio and gallery production on behalf of BT Sport and our other commercial partners.
In addition to your technical skills you will be a great communicator who can quickly build relationships with our clients. You will be financially accountable for the operational resources of each production and you will work closely with the management team to achieve revenue targets.
- Through your understanding of studio production and broadcast technology you will provide technical solutions that meet the needs of each project, with opportunities to constantly develop your own technical knowledge (UHD, 4K, HDR, IP, AR/VR etc).
- Collaborate with our engineering teams to ensure that projects are delivered successfully, and any technical issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Communicate effectively with all departments so that the technical requirements of each production are fully understood by the engineering teams, and can be delivered.
- Deliver to the highest standards, with due consideration for the budget available, promoting innovation and cost-effective technical solutions where they exist.
- Working with the Head of Operations to achieve commercial goals and revenue targets, your responsibilities will include the preparation of studio quotes, cost management, invoice preparation, and the accurate reconciliation of any projects under your control.
- Ensure that the customer experience at BT Studios is unrivalled during the planning process and on the day of the production, as the most visible point of contact for our clients.
- As an ambassador you will champion BT Studios as a first class destination for production companies and broadcasters.
- Collaborating with the Studio Planning Manager in all aspects of planning (technical, operational, commercial) you will advise on the best deployment of resources, and will be a key point of contact for departments across the organization.
- Support the continued development of internal business systems and processes, including the scheduling and charging of resources through Xytech Media Pulse.
- Manage day-to-day technical issues in a ‘duty management’ capacity when not actively working on a production.
- Oversee the rig and operation of technical equipment in Studios and production control rooms (cameras, vision systems, AR/VR, projection, lighting, audio and comms)
- Responsible for studio safety including the management of risk assessments and ‘on the day’ supervision of technical staff and craft specialists in a studio environment.
- Maintain effective working relationships across the Timeline TV business.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A proven track record of successful technical delivery, with at least three years’ experience in the role of Studio Manager, Technical Manager, Unit Manager, or a similar position.
- Significant interest in broadcast systems, equipment and technology (cameras, sound, vision, AR/VR, lighting, graphics, EVS), remote and studio-based production workflows, post production and file-based media.
- Excellent organizational skills, able to complete tasks quickly and efficiently.
- Strong technical planning skills, comfortable with the detail of technical specifications.
- A strong communicator who can influence others. Able to deliver key information in a timely and accurate manner to a range of stakeholders, and at all levels.
- Proven customer focused approach that generates repeat business; able to remain calm under pressures and to react tactfully to unusual requests from production clients.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic with leadership experience; able to prioritize a complex workload and to meet deadlines individually, and as part of a collaborative team.
- Knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation, policies and standards: Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (HASAWA), Risk Assessments, COSSH, Working at Height, Electricity at Work, Noise, Young People, Manual Handling of Work Equipment.
- Able to resolve conflict, and to supervise a multifunctional team of staff and contractors in a ‘live’ production environment.
- Commercial experience: able to write commercial quotes, negotiating fair value from suppliers, track costs, prepare an invoice, and to deliver a project to an agreed production budget.
- Experience of working with Xytech, Provys, ScheduALL or a similar scheduling system.
- An interest in sports broadcasting or television entertainment.
We offer an opportunity to work with collaborative and helpful team members across all locations. You are also eligible for a variety of employee benefits including:
- Private health care
- Medical cash benefits
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Travel insurance.
We organise regular social events across different locations, giving an opportunity to get to know employees from all over the company.