About the Role
We are looking for a Sound Engineer to join Timeline’s dynamic Sound engineering team supporting the technical facilities of the BT Sport UHD & HD facility which includes three broadcast studios, ten galleries, a large post-production village, multi-channel MCR and playout operation.
Ensure that the operational needs of BT Sport, production partners and 3rd party shows are met effectively and that the technical requirements of the programmes are achieved by means of innovation and development
- Respond to all stakeholders in a positive, friendly, and proactive manner
- Maintain and operate equipment in Sound Control Rooms, Studios, CAR, MCR, SER and associated technical areas
- Work on technical installation projects, configure and route audio using Riedel Talkback and BNCS control systems
- Oversee the Riedel comms network across the entire site
- Operate and interrogate a broad range of audio systems and retrieve logs for analysis
- Ensure that technical faults are identified and logged, then resolved. Implement alternative technical solutions as required
- Engage with suppliers for service agreements, repairs, and to order spares
- Comply with the safety regulations, ensure the electronic equipment is aligned to the defined standards and keep appropriate records
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Able to design audio systems and workflows to suit varied production requirements
- Act as a point of quality control for the sound output of Timeline managed facilities.
- Able to prepare audio facilities for productions use; able to establish and test communication paths and test audio signals in and out of the Sound Control Rooms.
- Excellent understanding of Calrec and Yamaha audio consoles, and a wide variety of outboard processors
- In depth knowledge of Riedel communication systems and their programming.
- Understanding of ISDN and IP codecs
- Understanding of IP broadcasting and SMPTE 2022-6 and 2110
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals of Stereo, Surround Sound and Dolby Atmos as well as gain structure, equalization, dynamics, audio routing and control
- Good fundamental knowledge of IT and TCIP networking infrastructure
- Excellent understanding of Dante media networking
- Knowledge and experience of vision, hybrid routing and computer systems as they relate to a television studio environment
- Good audio editing skills and understanding of all common audio file formats.
- Knowledge of SpotOn playout systems
- The ability to make critical assessment of audio signals, both with ear and visual metering
- Good interpersonal skills, able to react tactfully and sympathetically to requests from production clients and freelance sound operators
- Able to act as Sound Supervisor and PA Operator when required
- Assist Freelance Sound Staff with production planning, rigging and set up
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines
- Effective communication and problem solving skills
- Able to work effectively as part of a team
- Able to assist/train up other staff
- Able to support Timeline’s HD and UHD Outside Broadcasts trucks as required.
- Good documentation skills.
This is a shift-based role which requires weekend work and some night shifts.
We offer an opportunity to work with collaborative and helpful team members across all locations. You are also eligible for a variety of employee benefits including:
- Private health care
- Medical cash benefits
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Travel insurance.
We organise regular social events across different locations, giving an opportunity to get to know employees from all over the company.