About the Role
Timeline TV are looking for an exceptional MCR Engineer to join the team on a 3 month contract in the MCR at BT Sport’s studios in East London.
In this role you will be responsible for all the incoming and outgoing feeds for live productions and ingest purposes. It can be a demanding environment with multiple simultaneous transmissions, so you’ll need a keen eye for detail. Most of the time, you won’t be on your own, so you’ll need to be able to work well with others. This includes the line-up of video circuits and satellite links in an extremely busy MCR environment. You will work at the highest levels of technical complexity under programme and/or operational pressures.
Last year, BT Sport broadcast over 1,500 hours of live sport across 12 channels, including Premier League, UEFA Champions League, FA Cup, Premiership Rugby and MotoGP. BT Sport and Timeline TV are at the forefront of innovation, moving to fully remote production within a matter of weeks once lockdown occurred, launched Europe’s first UHD channel, were at the forefront of UHD HDR, and were the first in the world to broadcast sport with Dolby Atmos sound.
- As a member of the Timeline MCR team you will be required to work at the highest level of technical complexity, under programme and/or operational pressures.
- You will be responsible for the line-up of video circuits, satellite links, return circuits and communications from outside broadcasts.
- You will be responsible for delivering the correct HD and Ultra HD HDR and SDR feeds to our production galleries, ingest teams and third-party networks, and for ensuring that all feeds are correctly on-passed according to the transmission schedule.
- You will manage the inbuilt system redundancy to minimize the impact of equipment failures, and work with the Broadcast Engineering team to ensure that all faults are rectified.
- Liaise with clients in traffic and other resource departments to ensure that all production needs are effectively and efficiently met.
- Devise ways of meeting the needs of production through technical innovation and development.
- Operate equipment in the MCR and associated technical areas including:
– Video matrix control systems (BNCS)
– Multichannel audio monitoring and shuffling including Dolby E and Dolby Atmos
– Communication matrix operations
– UHD SDR and HDR, and HD/SD SDI circuits.
– Standards conversion and fault finding
– Satellite downlinking and decryption / decoding
– ASI transport stream processing and fault finding
– File based ingest and playout
– IT and TCP/IP networking infrastructure
– Management of video contribution circuits (facility lines, MPLS)
– ISDN, Comrex, and TBU’s
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Knowledge and experience of vision, sound, routing, communication and computer systems as they relate to a Broadcast MCR environment.
- The ability to make critical assessment of television pictures and waveforms.
- Good fundamental knowledge of IT and TCP/IP networking infrastructure.
- Familiarity with scheduling systems used in an MCR environment.
- Customer awareness and good interpersonal skills; able to react tactfully and sympathetically to requests from operators and production staff.
- Understanding of SLA’s and their impact on the business.
- The ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
- Effective communication skills.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Able to work effectively as part of a team.
This role will be rostered to work an 7/14 shift pattern. Some operational flexibility is expected, and shift times may vary as Timeline Television is a 24/7 operation.
We offer an opportunity to work with collaborative and helpful team members across all locations. You are also eligible for a variety of employee benefits including:
- Private health care
- Medical cash benefits
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Travel insurance.
We organise regular social events across different locations, giving an opportunity to get to know employees from all over the company.