About the Role
We are looking for Graduate RF Broadcast Engineers, who will work primarily on OB locations and at our Greenford base with occasional work at other Timeline locations as necessary to cover programme and maintenance needs. The Graduate RF Broadcast Engineer is expected to achieve high level skill in setting up and operating the wide range of RF & Satellite equipment and systems deployed on remote Outside Broadcast projects and other Timeline business environments. The Engineer is required to work at the highest level of technical complexity under live programme pressures.
This a two-year development programme including secondments to various engineering departments, giving you the opportunity to expand your knowledge and develop practical skills for an exciting and rewarding career in RF engineering. As a Graduate Trainee, you can expect to put all the theory you have learnt at university into practice within an innovative organisation that will put you at the forefront of new and exciting developments in broadcast technology and prepare you for long-term career.
Our Graduate RF Broadcast Engineer role could be right for you if you are interested in pursuing one of the following careers:
- Outside Broadcast RF Engineer
- RF Systems Engineer
- Satellite Engineer
- Outside Broadcast Engineer
Responsibilities and learning objectives
Learning and Developing your skills whilst participating in our Graduate Programme will also involve supporting:
- Maintenance and operation of equipment used on RF & Satellite trucks, OB trucks, ‘Flyaways’ and other Timeline installations.
- Supporting the development of innovative solutions.
- Working collaboratively with production teams and Timeline colleagues to ensure that operational and production needs are effectively and efficiently met.
- Ensuring that technical faults are cleared, or alternative ways of meeting requirements are identified and implemented with the minimum loss of time.
- Set-up, configuration and checking of RF equipment.
- Rigging and operating OB equipment as required.
- Operating Spectrum Analysers and other network & transmission monitoring devices.
- Involvement with build and refurbishment projects.
- Developing skills and knowledge within the broadcast industry
Following appropriate training and as required, performing general operational duties including:
- Opening and closing RF Trucks and OB trucks for deployment or travel.
- Dealing with mains power feeds, ensuring for safe operation.
- Operating and managing RF, satellite and TV systems.
- Sound, camera and vision systems rigging, movement and de-rigging.
- Rigging and de-rigging a wide range of ancillary OB equipment.
- Driving RF trucks.
You will hit the ground running, working directly alongside our skilled engineers, getting hands-on experience on projects in outside broadcasts for our major broadcast clients. After a full induction, we will also offer you a mix of internal and external training, and you will have access to your own mentor to support your career development.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Up to Degree/BTEC level or equivalent.
- Knowledge and experience of vision, sound, routing, communication, RF, IP and computer systems as they relate to Outside Broadcast technologies.
- Knowledge of UHD and HD TV systems, coupled with an interest and desire to learn about emerging technologies including IP distribution formats.
- Good knowledge of Video & Audio compression techniques.
- A keen interest in RF Communications technology.
- The ability to make critical assessment of Spectrum Analyser traces, television waveforms, pictures and sound as necessary.
- A positive, enthusiastic manner with an ability to react tactfully and sympathetically to requests from clients and colleagues is essential.
- Customer awareness and good interpersonal & communication skills.
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines.
- A practical approach to engineering and able to use tools.
- Good fundamental knowledge of IT and TCIP networking infrastructure.
- Good knowledge of the principles of safety at work as applied in the TV industry.
- Ability to work as part of a team and remain calm under pressure.
- An awareness of the need to gain and retain the confidence of the customer to ensure an ongoing business relationship.
- Willing to work within all Timeline policies, working practices and Health and Safety guidelines.
- Willing to work away from home for extended periods and travel extensively.
- A willingness to be contactable and available at short notice on off-duty days to respond to incoming work or to assist colleagues.
- Clean UK driving licence.
Previous experience of an operational role in TV Outside Broadcasting is desirable.
Please note that this is a shift-based role and involves unsociable hours and weekend work.
Why Join Timeline?
In addition to being part of a company that is at the forefront of cutting-edge broadcast technology, we offer a range of perks and benefits such as regular social events, the Cycle to Work scheme, private health care, a medical cashback scheme and a ‘legendary’ Christmas party!
You will have the opportunity to work on exciting projects that really matter, and we offer a variety of training and development opportunities.
The closing date for applications is 30/06/2019