About the Role
The Engineer's duties will primarily be on Outside Broadcast locations throughout the UK and Worldwide and in our Greenford OB base with occasional work at other Timeline locations as necessary to cover programme and maintenance needs.
When onsite the Engineer is expected to be customer friendly with the client and balance the technical rig with managing the junior members of staff.
Offsite preparation and maintenance at the OB base are a requirement and should be managed accordingly to achieve a successful job onsite. Managing the graduates and junior engineers along with training and delegating tasks are an essential ability.
Expected to achieve high levels of ability in the maintenance, alignment, modification and operation of the wide range of broadcast equipment and systems deployed OB Trucks and any other Timeline business environments. The Engineer is required to work at the highest level of technical complexity under programme and/or operational pressures.
A flexible, positive and sociable approach is required at all times.
- Guarantee from small to large OBs on Timelines fleet of scanners and flyaways.
- Work closely and take direction from the unit managers, including suggesting ways to streamline projects.
- Maintenance and operation of equipment used on OB trucks, flyaways and other Timeline installations.
- Provide exceptional front facing customer service to Timeline’s clients while maintaining a professional attitude with colleagues and freelancers.
- Knowledge of UHD and HD baseband vision systems, coupled with an interest and desire to learn about emerging technologies.
- Knowledge of the TCP/IP address system including multicast, VLANS etc.
- A good understanding of the latest IP standards including SMPTE 2022-6/7, 2110, 2059, TR03/4 along with AES67 and Dante.
- An understanding of HDR and 2020 colour space.
- Devise and support the development of innovative solutions.
- Work collaboratively with production teams and Timeline colleagues to ensure that operational and production needs are effectively and efficiently met.
- Ensure that technical faults are cleared, or alternative ways of meeting requirements are identified and implemented with the minimum loss of time.
- Accurately line-up vision monitoring facilities.
- Learn, rig and operate rare, usually hired, equipment as required.
- Operate camera colour balance and other engineering set up controls.
- Work closely with the audio and communications departments to understand common project goals.
- Follow up on faults, contact manufactures to arrange replacements and returns.
- Involvement with build and refurbishment projects.
- Good knowledge of the principles of safety at work as applied in the TV industry.
- Following appropriate training and as required, to perform general operational duties including:
- OB Truck opening and closing for travel.
- Dealing with Mains power feeds, checking for safe operation.
- Operation and management of RF systems.
- Sound, camera and vision systems rigging, movement and de-rigging
Above is just a brief outline of duties, however this can change due to business requirements. You may be given additional projects and workloads from the management, and you will be expected to comply with all reasonable requests.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Vision Mixers: particularly Kahuna with knowledge of Sony, GV Karerra and Panasonic
- Axon Cerebrum Control System
- Axon Synapse Hardware including:
- 4K Embedders, U4T100/140
- U4D100 Down converters
- A range of Synapse hardware
- Grass Valley (SAM) Rollcall and Orbit IP software
- Multiviewers: GV MV820, GV Kaleido X&MX, XEdit
- Understanding of an EVS LSM rig and configuration
- HDR operation in GV Kahuna, Sony HDRC-4000, AJA FS-HDR
- Sony 2500, 4300 CCU & Cameras and Sony BPU4000 & 4300.
The applicant will be required to demonstrate knowledge in any one of the above technologies during the interview stages.
- The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Training, qualifications and aptitude relevant to broadcast engineering.
- Knowledge and experience of vision, sound, routing, communication, RF, IP and computer systems as they relate to Outside Broadcast technologies.
- The ability to make critical assessment of television pictures and waveforms as necessary.
- A positive, enthusiastic manner with an ability to react tactfully and sympathetically to requests from clients and colleagues is essential.
- Customer awareness and good interpersonal & communication skills
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and remain calm under pressure.
- Willingness to travel away from home regularly, sometimes for long periods.
- A UK driving license and willingness to drive permitted Timeline and hired vehicles.
- Adaptability: Demonstrates flexibility and responds very well to new challenges, is open to change(s), shows openness to alternative ways of doing things;
- Organisation: Flair for meticulous planning in advance with attention to detail, ability to prioritise with conflicting task deadline(s), ability to remain calm in dynamic environments and remain calm and productive under time period(s) of high workload(s) and enabling smooth project delivery;
- Team-oriented: Ability to develop positive relationships, Works well with others, possesses the ability to create and maintain productive working relationships. Helps to build positive working relationships in the team environment(s) and connects with people from all parts of society;
- Communication: Listens well and is open to regular, honest feedback, articulates oneself well and communicates with passion and clarity, demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills through effective communication. Good conflict resolution skills.
- Collaboration: Identify improvements with systems and processes to improve collaboration, sets an example by sharing necessary knowledge, skills(s) and idea(s) within team to build helpful, productive relationships across the organisation;
- Maximising business effectiveness: Provides the best value by sharing resources, looks for value for money for Timeline TV, considers the business implications. Proactive with carefully identifying suitable technology and managing the implementation and utilisation of new equipment or innovations.
To degree or higher level, ideally in a relevant subject.
We offer an opportunity to work with collaborative and helpful team members across all locations. You are also eligible for a variety of employee benefits including:
- Private health care
- Medical cash benefits
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Travel insurance.
We also organise regular social events across different locations, giving an opportunity to get to know employees all over.
The closing date for applications is 01/05/2019